Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Birth story- Shelby Lewis

Well, on Hannah's first birthday we found out we were expecting another baby! Although it was mostly planned, I was completely shocked, overwhelmed, excited, anxious, and just positive it was going to be a boy. 

I was not nearly as morning sick with this pregnancy, but had the weakest immune system for the first few months, so I was always sick. Bleh! Just like my first pregnancy, I had regular Braxton hicks contractions from before 20 weeks, on. Always several an hour, sometimes a few minutes apart, for hours. I really hoped I would know when I was in labor. Especially since I was induced with Hannah, so I was still unaware of what "going into labor" felt like. 


July 12, 2014
8 months pregnant


I was due August 12th. 
At only 38 weeks I had been feeling a lot of stronger contractions, nausea, and flu like. I couldn't imagine I would go into labor early, but didn't experience any of this with my first, and was imagining these were signs that labor would be soon. 

Sunday, August 3rd- my mom and grandma were passing through town due to a funeral, and decided to stay for a couple of days, in case I went/to pressure me into labor. That night we walked until I thought I would die. I even jogged a bit. Contractions were not strong but 3 min apart for hours, then they slowed down.

Monday, August 4th- I was at a 3, for the second week in a row. I had my membranes stripped. This made my already regular contractions about 5 minutes apart and uncomfortable for hours, but then slowed down again. So we went out walked/jogging again. I came home and did squats and bounced on a ball. 

Tuesday, August 5th- I woke up really irritated. I was feeling a lot of pressure to go into labor, since my mom and grandma were in town for it. (THEY weren't putting pressure on me, I was on myself). But I was not even 39 weeks yet, so I suddenly wondered why I was even expecting it. I didn't want to talk about or think about my contractions that day. I don't think I did a whole lot that day to push myself. We went shopping at the mall, and I colored my hair that night. More ball bouncing. Contractions were strong and uncomfortable, yet all over the place, all day long. 
I woke up in the night feeling terrible. I had barely slept in several days because of contractions, anxiety, and excitement. It was another sleepless night. But this time I was convinced I was in labor. My contractions were so strong, right in my back, painful enough that I was bracing on all fours for each one, yet they were 8-12 minutes apart. All. Night. Long. I didn't wake anyone, cause I knew I couldn't go to the hospital until they were closer together. But I got up and packed, ate, got dressed, and all ready to go. 

Wednesday, August 6th- Morning finally came and I announced I was finally in labor, only to realize my contractions were stopping. I was so bummed. We went walking again and my contractions were back on, yet not as painful, so we went to the hospital to get checked. I hoped they would admit me and just push me along with pitocin. I was just hurting so much, I couldn't imagine they'd send me home.. Wrong. I was STILL at a 3! I cried the whole way home, and really felt stupid. My grandma went home that afternoon, since it was a false alarm, and since her weekend trip was turning into a very long trip! I figured it would be several more days of false contractions. 
But, within a couple of hours the contractions were starting again, and seemed to be getting closer together. It had never crossed my mind that I could possibly still go into labor that day. It didn't take long before I knew I was in real labor. We ate dinner, put Hannah to bed, and head to the hospital about 7:30pm. I was deffffffinitely in labor this time.  They quickly got me in and sure enough, I was at a 5 and was admitted! 
I was so ready for an epidural at this point, especially after all night of these contractions already! Finally that sweet relief came (most painful epidural ever though!)
I finally started to relax and get excited, when less than an hour after the epidural, I was feeling contractions again. Each one was getting stronger, and I was feeling anxious. Suddenly my epidural alarm started to buzz saying there was air in the track. The nurses assured me that was why I was feeling everything and it would be back to working in a few minutes. Not so! So much for that! Luckily, I was just about ready and my doctor was on his way. When he got there, I pushed for just a few contractions and our little Shelby was born at 11:12pm! She was healthy as ever, weighing 6lb 10 oz, 19.5 inches long. She's got light brown/dark blonde hair, and is so sweet! 
As I was gazing into the eyes of my new little one, I was paying no attention to anything else, and later learned my uterus would not stop bleeding and was hemorrhaging. With some injection of meds they had it taken care of, but man I'm sure glad I didn't have an emergency delivery at home or in the car or something! 









We were quite exhausted.
Little Shelby wouldn't sleep in the night..
I was also extremely ready to go home, even though I wouldn't get to until the following morning.

She had me convinced that she would be a pacifier baby!
Doesn't seem so after all 

Finally, Dad (because he got up and went to school the next morning), Grandma and Grandpa O'Bryant, and Hannah arrived around noon the next day. 
I could not wait for Hannah to meet Shelby!
Grandma and Grandpa spoiled Hannah at the hospital gift shop with a new fluffy white stuffed cat, and a balloon. I wish I had a picture of her when she walked into my room. It was the cutest thing ever. She pretty much ignored Shelby for the first little bit. I think she didn't know what to do, and there was a lot of attention on both girls. But she was very interested in her when I sat down and really showed Shelby to Hannah.
We had been talking about this mystery "baby" for so long!! 




I was so looking forward to having the girls in their matching outfits. Their bows were totally over the top, and I knew it! But I still thought they looked adorable. 











No comments:

Post a Comment